In order to accommodate staff holidays and address the large increase in submissions that has been generated by Submittable, The Fiddlehead will be closed to submissions effective July 15 and will reopen in September.
* * *
The Fiddlehead is open to good writing in English or translations into English from all over the world and in a variety of styles, including experimental genres. Our editors are always happy to see new unsolicited works in fiction, including excerpts from novels, creative nonfiction, and poetry. We also publish reviews, and occasionally other selected creative work such as excerpts from plays. Work is read on an ongoing basis; the acceptance rate is around 1-2% (we are, however, famous for our rejection notes!). Apart from our annual contest, we have no deadlines for submissions.
We particularly welcome submissions from Indigenous writers, writers of colour, writers with disabilities, LGBTQQIA+ writers, and writers from other intersectional and under-represented communities. If you are comfortable identifying yourself as one or more of the above, please feel free to mention this in your cover letter.
If you are serious about submitting to The Fiddlehead, you should read an issue or two to get a sense of the journal. Consider subscribing or contact us to order sample back issues ($10-$15 plus postage).
We will be phasing in our use of Submittable. Right now you can submit creative nonfiction for an upcoming issue devoted to creative nonfiction (Autumn 2018), and soon afterward, our poetry submissions will open (keep your eyes peeled for the announcements)! Fiction submissions will follow in 2018, and then general Creative Nonfiction should follow!
General Guidelines for Unsolicited Submissions
• Pay is $60 CAD per published page, plus two complimentary copies of the issue with your work. Contributors may purchase additional copies of an issue at a discount.
• The Fiddlehead buys first serials rights; copyright is retained by the author at all times, and authors are free to resell the work, though we do ask for a 90-day exclusive from our first publication of the work.
• Writers may only submit once per calendar year per genre. (This does not include our annual contest: you may submit multiple times, so long as the work is not under consideration elsewhere. See complete contest guidelines here .)
• Please wait for an editorial response before submitting again. We try our best to respond in a timely matter, but due to volume of submissions, a response may take 6 months or more. Please wait 6 months before querying.
• We only consider unpublished work. Please do not submit work that has been previously published or accepted for publication, including in anthologies, chapbooks, blogs, Facebook pages, or online journals.
• For online submissions, please submit one file containing your creative work (.doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf). Log back in any time to check the status of your submission.
• For hard copy, mailed submissions, all submissions should be typed/word-processed, spell-checked, and paginated. Please use white paper, print on one side only, and put your name on every page of your submission.
• In Submittable, please copy and paste your cover letter and biographical statement in the appropriate fields.
• Tell us in your cover letter whether your submission is exclusive to The Fiddlehead or whether you have submitted it to other magazines simultaneously. If another magazine accepts your work for publication that you have also submitted to us, then please advise us immediately.
Our creative nonfiction issue editor Alicia Elliott has put together an amazing issue.
Contributors include: R.L. Aseret, Tara Campbell, Mary Chen, Šari Dale, Zarrin Darnell-Martin, Tyler Dunning, Gila Green, Nicholas Herring, Mikka Jacobsen, Jeanie Keogh, Ania Mroczek, Dominik Parisien, David Rock, Erin Soros, Jill M. Talbot, Arielle Twist, Charmaine Ward, and Angela Wright.
Pre-order it now! Shipping included! Please select the appropriate fee to match your address!
Anticipated distribution date: October 15, 2018